Pages

Thursday 14 May 2015

The Write Advice 065: SHUKRI AL-MABKHOUT


I don’t think that everything written by academics is good for a simple reason: All novelists and poets are necessarily autodidacts, if autodidactism is considered the opposite of academia.  Even writing workshops and books which claim to be writing guides (I have translated one of them) do not make authors as much as they make them be aware of the dangers of the act of creativity and its stakes.  According to this, you can compare what is produced by non-academics.  Academic affiliation is not a requirement for the quality of creativity and vice versa 
      The recipe is very simple: Don’t write only what you love to read in other writers’ work!  This may be due to the fact that I see my text, while writing, from the point of view of the reader that dwells in me.  I admit that it is a distance full of risks.  But I wrote a novel for myself and I found readers sharing with me their anticipations and expectations from the novelistic pact.

We Have To Be Merciful Toward Our Intellectuals  [21 February 2015]



Use the link below to read the full interview with Tunisian novelist SHUKRI AL-MABKHOUT:

 

http://arablit.org/2015/02/21/tunisian-novelist-shukri-al-mabkhout-we-have-to-be-merciful-toward-our-intellectuals/

 

 

You might also enjoy:

 
The Write Advice 053: MOHAMMAD HASSAN ALWAN

 
The Write Advice 035: MAHMOUD SAEED

 
The Write Advice 025: SALWA BAKR

 

No comments:

Post a Comment